How to care for your silk duvet & bed linen
Silksleep duvets and linen are made using only the finest quality long-fibre mulberry silk. Because of this they are less susceptible to bacteria and the cleaning requirements are far less than those of a conventional duvet or bed linen.
Silk bedding care (including silk-filled products)
Taking a few simple steps to look after your silk-filled duvet will prolong its life and maintain its luxurious look and feel.
- Air about twice a year All the cleaning your silk duvet should need when used in conjunction with a duvet cover is to be aired for a few hours outside (out of direct sunlight) about twice a year. This allows the duvet to 'breathe' and helps the silk fibres that may have slightly compacted during use to rejuvenate.
- Spot clean only In the event of a spillage or stain, simply treat the area with a warm damp cloth and if required use a light detergent like Tenestar® or gentle soap to clean the soiled area.
- Professional clean only As a last resort and for larger stains we recommend to find a professional cleaner who understands silk. This is because silk fibre is susceptible to high heat and domestic washing machines could damage the fibres. We recommend asking if the cleaner has silk-specific detergent and has cleaned 100% silk products before. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide details of any specialist cleaners.
- Always use a duvet cover It may sound obvious but duvet covers are not only hygienic but will also protect your duvet from wear and tear. All our duvets are manufactured to standard U.K. sizes.
- Cot duvets We recommend the above care but if necessary can be machine washed at 30 C as required. We recommend Tenestar® washing agent or using a mild detergent followed by a cool tumble dry.
- Storage When not in use duvets and mattress toppers should be stored in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight.
Silk linen care
Contrary to popular belief caring for your silk bed linen is not very difficult. By following these simple steps you will prolong the life of your silk linen and be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
- Cool wash Always wash your linen in warm, not hot water setting machine washes at 30°C or on a silk setting. Use a suitable cleaning agent, we recommend Tenestar® for both machine and hand washes or any other soft detergent used for silk.
- Use of protective bags If machine washing try to place the item in a protective bag to prevent the pulling action of your washing machine which may harm the seams of your linen. A cotton pillowcase would be perfect.
- Drying Hanging your linen on a washing line is preferable to machine drying, away from direct sunlight and radiators. We recommend not to tumble dry but if necessary please do it on a cool setting.
- Ironing Try to iron your linen when slightly damp and use a cool setting. Your linen should be ironed on the inside at all times.
- Never bleach Or use any kind of bleaching agent. Bleach damages the silk fibre and will destroy silk bed linen.
- Never shampoo Do not attempt to substitute a washing agent for shampoo, this will damage the silk and leave a residue on your linen which will look dull and worn.
Thank you for your excellent customer service and a lovely product. The speedy delivery was much appreciated and I had a great nights sleep!
Mrs Zoe Hine
Thanks for the efficient delivery of my silk bedding set I absolutely love it!
May I comment on how easy it was to order and receive.